Neighborhood & NU
Hotels near Northwestern University
Enjoy the Urban Suburban North Shore Neighborhood
The Hilton Orrington/Evanston gives visitors the best of both worlds - we like to call it "Urban Suburban". Evanston is a diverse, high-energy area located in the North Shore of Chicago. With its natural beauty, charm, and close proximity to Chicago, our guests are often pleasantly surprised. Evanston is home to Northwestern University, one of the country's most well-respected colleges located on 242.8 acres on the shores of Lake Michigan. Walk the shorelines in picturesque public parks or take in the natural beauty in all four seasons on tree-lined streets. Well over 167 restaurants, art galleries, specialty shops, cafes, bookstores, entertainment venues, and a unique business district are all just outside the doors of the historic Hilton Orrington/Evanston.
Enjoy a 20 minute ride on the CTA train to take you to a Cubs game or shopping in Downtown Chicago. Here are some Chicago and Evanston entertainment activities which you might find of interest:
- Chicago CTA Station (2 blocks): Easy access to Downtown Chicago.
- Chicago Metra Station (2 blocks): Easy access to Downtown Chicago.
- Chicago Botanic Garden (9 miles): An Illinois botanical museum offering 23 beautiful gardens on 385 acres, plants, flowers, greenhouses, educational classes, and more.
- Ravinia Festival/Music Arena (12.66 miles): Seasonal music venue with a variety of concerts and live performances.
- Six Flags, Great America (32.5 miles): Theme park with a Wiggles World themed area, Operation Spy Girl, world-class coasters, plus over 100 shows a day.
- Bahai Temple (1.6 miles): Gracing the shores of Wilmette just north of Evanston, this striking temple took decades to build and intentionally incorporates architectural and stylistic elements from all the world's religions. It was also recently selected as one of the official Seven Wonders of Illinois for the Chicago land region.
- Evanston Beaches (4 blocks): Evanston is home to five beautiful beaches that offer great southern views of the Chicago skyline.
- Grosse Point Lighthouse (1 mile): Built by the United States Government in 1873 as the lead lighthouse marking the approach to Chicago after several shipwrecks demonstrated its need.
- Asha Spa (2 blocks): Our local spas provide personalized attention to your individual needs and goals. Services feature natural products and customized skin care. The ASHA Spa is professional, first-class, gentle, caring and a friendly environment.
- Holocaust Memorial Foundation (4.5 miles): The Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center is a project of the Holocaust Memorial Foundation of Illinois. This new world-class museum is dedicated to preserving the memories of those lost in the Holocaust and teaching current generations about the need to fight hatred, indifference and genocide in today’s world.
- Westfield Old Orchard Shopping Mall: Beautifully landscaped outdoor shopping center located on Chicago's prestigious North Shore. Conveniently located in Skokie at the intersection of Old Orchard Road and Skokie Boulevard, Westfield Old Orchard features popular retail leaders, surrounded by more than 145 specialty shops and boutiques. An abundant variety of dining options is located on the sprawling grounds, including full service restaurants and fast casual choices in the Orchard Food Court.
- Navy Pier (12 miles): Family attraction featuring entertainment, shopping, dining, cruises, and events, featuring more than 50 acres of parks, gardens, shops, restaurants, and more.
- McCormick Place (25 miles): Chicago’s premier convention facility.
- Shedd Aquarium (14 miles): Known as the World’s Aquarium, Shedd Aquarium has been a Chicago icon and a leader in the zoo and aquarium profession.
- John Hancock Observatory (13 miles): The Hancock Observatory in the John Hancock Tower offers spectacular views spanning up to 80 miles and four states.
- Millennium Park (12 miles): Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, the park is bordered by Michigan Avenue to the west, Columbus Drive to the east, Randolph Street to the North, and Monroe Street to the South.
- Donald E. Stephens Convention Center(17 miles): The Donald E. Stephens Convention Center located in Rosemont, Illinois is just minutes from O'Hare International Airport.
Other noteworthy Chicago attractions and sights include:
- Wrigley Field - Home of the Chicago Cubs Baseball Team (6 miles)
- Soldier Field - Home of the Chicago Bears Football Team (15 miles)
- United Center - Home of Chicago Bulls/Blackhawks (19.6 miles)
- Ryan Field - Northwestern University (5 miles)
- Allstate Arena (15.5 miles)
For Working Out
- Jogging Track/Trails (5 blocks)
- Bicycling (5 blocks)
- Evanston Athletic Club (3 blocks)
- LA Fitness (1 block)
- Lighthouse Opera Works (4 blocks north)
- Wilmette Theater (2 miles north)
- Aragon Ballroom (6 miles south)
- Riviera Theatre (6 miles south)
- Loews Theater (7 blocks west)
- Century 12 Theater (3 blocks)
- Civic Opera House (19.75 miles)
- American Message Therapy (4 blocks east)
- Chase Bank (3 blocks south)
- McDougal Littell (3 blocks west)
- Kraft (5 miles west)
- NU Center for Public Safety
- Rotary International (3 blocks south)
- Pivot Point (3 blocks south)
- ZS Associates (1/2 blocks west)
- APAC Customer Services (18.75 miles)
- Abbott Laboratories
- NorthShore University HealthSystem (1.5 miles)
- Northwest Community Hospital (16.58 miles)
- Underwriters Laboratories (15.91 miles)
- St. Francis Hospital (1 mile)
- Astellas Pharmaceuticals (18.07 miles)
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals Baxter Healthcare (18.07 miles)
- Music Institute of Chicago (3 blocks)
- Westfield Old Orchard Center - A Five Star Shopping Experience (2 miles west)
- Lincolnwood Town Center (3 miles west)
- Northbrook Court (3.26 miles north)
- Gurnee Mills Outlets (33.2 miles)
- Magnificent Mile, Chicago (13 miles south)
- Downtown Evanston Sherman Plaza (1 block south)
- American Girl Store, Chicago
- Northwestern University (1/2 block north)
- Loyola University (4.5 miles)
- DePaul University (9 miles)
- National Louis College
Golf Courses (Seasonal)
- Peter N. Jans Community Golf Course (.9 miles)
- Evanston Golf Club (2.83 miles)
- Westmoreland Country Club (3.09 miles)
- Robert A. Black Golf Club (3.13 miles)
- Weber Park Golf Course (3.38 miles)
- Indian Hill Golf Club (3.66 miles)
- Bryn Mawr Country Club (4.11 miles)
- Chick Evans Golf Course (4.93 miles)
- Wilmette Golf Course (4.94 miles)
- Winnetka Golf Club (5.08 miles)